Monday, November 27, 2006

I'm Surprised

That some people just don't seem to respect the principals that this nation was founded upon. A couple of days ago, I posted my concerns about an incident in which 12 American clergymen of the Islamic faith were denied the right to fly because other passengers were afraid of them.

I'm troubled by some of the comments that appeared in response to that posting. Here is a representative sample of one of them:

Right, Steve, let's sacrifice ourselves on the altar of political correctness while radical Muslims blow us up. If 19 Swedish Lutherans had hijacked planes on 9/11, I'd all be for profiling Swedish Lutherans. Why should we pretend that the threat comes from everywhere when in fact the threat comes from the radical element of one religous group.

3:32 PM

Delete
Here is my response, (I have tidied up some typos):

Does the name Timothy McVeigh ring a bell? Ever heard of the IRA, the Weathermen, the Aryan Nation, the Order, the Anthrax Attackers, the Beltway Snipers?

Those who are willing to give-up our civil liberties for a false perception of safety are not worthy of the bravery and the sacrifices made by those who created and protected our nation and (especially) its Constitution.

The Founding Fathers didn't respond to threats by destroying liberties, they created them. Have you ever heard the Revolutionary War cry: "Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death?"

Wasn't it Ben Franklin who said, and I am paraphrasing here, Those who are willing to sacrifice liberty for safety end up with neither and deserve what they get.

My guess is that good ol Anonymous is a white (so-called) Christan. So maybe they should ask Santa for some courage, with a little empathy on the side, for Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My guess is that good ol Anonymous is a white (so-called) Christan. So maybe they should ask Santa for some courage, with a little empathy on the side, for Christmas."

Very Tolerant of you Steve. You guess. Well then I guess that you think all White Christians are bad people.

Could anonymous be someone other than a White Christian in your book?

Steve Fine said...

I mispoke, What I meant is that Anon. should be braver and have a little empathy and compassion for people. I tried to make it gender neutral and it came out reading like I said Christans are cowards and lack compassion.

I sure hope my wife didn't read it that way, she's a White Christan and one of the bravest and most compassionate people I have ever met.

I still doubt that anon. is black, asian, hispanic, native american, developmentally disabled or musilm. Because then he would know just how it feels to be profiled for his apperence and just how unfair and irrational it is.